IDrive Remote Backup
Getting the Iomega USB floppy drive to work with Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8

Browse By

Getting the Iomega USB floppy drive to work with Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8

In this day and age, with the fact that most new pc’s do not have floppy drives anymore, as a tech, I still find times where bring out an old reliable floppy is my best way to resolve a problem.  Many people still have some “classic” tools that are on floppy, or documents or pictures saved on floppy (Before CDRW/DVDRW drives became the norm, floppy disks were the way to store and transfer files).

The problem is that many of the Floppy drives do not have drivers or “official” support for Windows Vista or Windows 7.  This post covers just such an issue.  I use an Iomega USB drive, and whenever I plug it into my Windows 7 pc’s, I get a message that Windows can’t find a driver for my device.

image Here are some simple steps to get your drive to work with Vista or W7.

1) When you install the drive you will get the message that your drive needs to find drivers. Just hit Cancel

image

2) Go to start –> Control Panel –> System –> Device Manager

image (Example from Windows 7, Vista may look a little different)

3) When the Device Manager opens you will see a listing for X1DE-USB with a Yellow triangle next to it under Other Devices.  On that line item right mouse click (NOTE IM SAYING RIGHT MOUSE) and then select Update Driver software and left mouse click (NOTE THAT I SAID LEFT)

image

4) Now select Browse my computer for driver software

image

5) Now select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and click on Next

image

6) Now you will get a box to select your device type from list, click on “Show All Devices” and click on Next

image

7) In the following window, for the box on the left select NEC Systems, and then on the right select NEC USB Floppy then click on Next

image

8 ) You will be told by Windows that “Installing this device driver is not recommended…..” its ok just click on Yes to continue.

image

9) Lastly you will be told that Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

image

Now if you look at the Device Manager you will see the listing for Floppy disk drive – Citizen X1DE.

image

Finally if you look in the My Computer icon, you will see the A: drive listed for your floppy drive

image

With that you now have a working Floppy USB drive.

63 thoughts on “Getting the Iomega USB floppy drive to work with Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8”

1. steveNo Gravatar says:

what do you do if nec is not on the list
    i have an iomega usb floppy drive and i would like it to work on windows 7 ultimate

1. Alex NoveloNo Gravatar says:

Ill work on finding the NEC driver. In the mean time make absolutely sure that when you right click and update driver that the Floppy is selected. If for some reason something else is selected you wont see NEC on your list as NEC only appears when looking for USB specific devices. You can also double check it by going to something else USB on your list and right clicking and selecting update device and then see if NEC appears (**Make sure you hit cancel if you test with anything other than the Floppy, you DONT want to make changes to any other device just look).

2. IncrementNo Gravatar says:

Been searching for a while for this solution. Works perfectly. Many thanks.

3. Dave AceNo Gravatar says:

Cheers works great Iomega web site was no help at all!!!!

4. marcoNo Gravatar says:

thanks a lot, very useful

5. MauriceNo Gravatar says:

Thank you very much, were would we be if people didn’t put solutions like this on the net.

6. FelixNo Gravatar says:

Thank you very much. In a few steps you gave me the solution to finally use floppy disk on windows 7.

7. anoveloNo Gravatar says:

Both 32 and 64 bit

8. NoelNo Gravatar says:

Thanks you very much. This works perfectly.
    Have you also a solution for HP ScanJet 5300C on W7 ?
    I have the same problem with my scanner.

1. anoveloNo Gravatar says:

I am working on that post as we speak. It should be up shortly.
      Alex
      Head of TechGeekandMore

9. MaartenNo Gravatar says:

Thanks for the solution:-) I’ve posted the dutch version of this manual on my knowledge base for the Dutch users.

10. Robert RichterNo Gravatar says:

Thanks. I no longer have to use a virtual PC to access my floppy. Everytime I plug the floppy into a USB port it hasn’t been plugged in before, I have to go through this again, though, so save these instructions for when you go to use the floppy and it isn’t working this time.

11. Operation MobocracyNo Gravatar says:

And it works in 64 bit, too! Thanks for the tip. I never use a floppy, but when you NEED it, there’s no substitute.

12. Big GLNo Gravatar says:

This is the best fix I have yet found for any problem over last 15 years of working with PCs!!

13. PaulNo Gravatar says:

thanks, works great on windows 7 64 bit :)

14. MikeNo Gravatar says:

Excellent post with great details on how to resolve the issue since the IOMEGA site was worthless.

15. KeithNo Gravatar says:

Thanks for the walkthrough, after 30 min of frustration with iomega drivers, this worked like a charm.

16. Renzo F. Giraudi Turin ItalyNo Gravatar says:

Many many thanks!
    It works very well.
    The site is user friendly and I’ve appreciated the fact that now I can read my old floppies.
    Bye
    Renzo

17. Paul MantonNo Gravatar says:

Brilliant, thanks. Now I just hope the hair I’ve been tearing out re-grows.

18. MacSpanksNo Gravatar says:

The IOmega site says Windows 7 support only works for units with serial numbers starting with D0.

But this solution works!

Back to school, Iomega!!

- Jim

19. YRNo Gravatar says:

fantastic: manymany thanks!!! Does anyone know a similar trick to get Sony camera to work with windows 7 64-bit system?

20. ziggyNo Gravatar says:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I have been trying to rescue some important pictures from my steam powered computer, this was my last option & it worked.

YEEAAAYYYY

21. LouisNo Gravatar says:

Thanks a million. Works like a charm on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

22. 2ys4uNo Gravatar says:

thank you two millions…inflation you know….did work just as advertised…we don’t get a lot of that anymore..thanks again

23. DutchFrankNo Gravatar says:

many thanks. Works like a charm. To bad Iomega doesn’t metion it on their site.

24. LarsNo Gravatar says:

Wonderful, Iomega support is not worthy of their name. But this worked. One million THANK YOU.

25. Juan Carlos CastroNo Gravatar says:

Muy Buena tu aportacion amigo, me has sacado de un gran apuro, Muchas Gracias.

26. AllanNo Gravatar says:

27. Melvyn PearceNo Gravatar says:

Thanks, I was looking for this for ages.

Why is it that Iomega Support is no support at all.

They want us to buy new stuff, not keep the old stuff working.

THANKS AGAIN !!!

28. AlgotRNo Gravatar says:

Works great on Windows 7 x64 SP1!
    Thanks a million!

29. MeganNo Gravatar says:

This was awesome!! Thank you so much for the great help!!

30. LairdNo Gravatar says:

Just when I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with diskettes…bam someone drops this drive and some diskettes for me to do some data recovery. YOU ROCK!

31. COOLPAPINo Gravatar says:

YOU R “THE MAN”. GREAT INFO AND HELP. THANK FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. GOD BLESS!

32. wilson ortetNo Gravatar says:

works!!! thank you!

33. meldonNo Gravatar says:

saludo!!!tnx!!!

34. DaveNo Gravatar says:

Thanks very much for the solution. It works fine!!

35. DoronNo Gravatar says:

Thank you, it works, simple but yet smart.

36. Sean FlanaganNo Gravatar says:

Sorry mate

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I have to say…

You are a genius!

Thank You!
    Sean

37. pcNo Gravatar says:

This helped me clear room occupied by my old PC, thanks so much! :-)

38. Roger QuickNo Gravatar says:

Admirably clear explanation. Superb! Thank you.

39. MauriceNo Gravatar says:

Absolutely brilliant.

Thank you ever so. You ARE a genius!!

Now can anyone help me get my Locoscript documents working in Word or Open Office or otherwise in Windows Vista?

Locoscript is a DOS-based word-processor software that was issued originally with Amstrad machines. There was also a Windows (3.2 or whatever) version issued. I had some Windows version at some time anyway.

Special Thanks

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

Glad the USB Floppy fix worked for you….

No one here has ever used Locoscript but if you google Locoscript, there are a few links for converters…..

40. Arjun TutejaNo Gravatar says:

I have tried various ways, but can’t find NEC driver. In fact I don’t get the list of manufacturers, options of Floppy Disk Drive, High Capacity Floppy Disk Drive and USB Floppy Disk Drive. Clicking on either brings the caution message. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with AMD processor.

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

If you are missing the NEC driver file, check your pc for the sfloppy.sys file which is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\sfloppy.sys . If you dont have that file, go to another Windows 7 PC that has it. Copy the file (using a jump drive, portable hard drive, or any other way to get a file from one pc to the other that you can use), and on your pc when you paste the file, back to that same c:\windows\system32\drivers spot. That should give it to you.

41. Mike ShowalterNo Gravatar says:

Worked perfectly with 64bit win 7…first install. Any trick to make that stick after reboots? I have to go through the entire process every reboot. Thank you

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

The question I ask, are you keeping the floppy drive plugged in during the reboot process? Or are you plugging it in once the pc is up and running? and are you always plugging it in to the same port? I have a couple of ideas based on the answers to the questions…..

1. MikeNo Gravatar says:

Alex, I leave it plugged in at each reboot

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

Your pc is swapping your USB port assignments on reboot. If you look in the device manager and usb properties you will see (USB1, USB2, USB3, etc) listed, each time you boot, these assignment are not going to the same place, causing the issue. Give me a couple of days (sorry really busy week with customers) and I will try and write up a fix for that. You arent the only one reporting this issue.

42. KerryNo Gravatar says:

Wonderful solution. How did the author could ever figure this out? Trying the list one by one? Just unbelievable!!! Thank you sooooooooo much for sharing this.

I can’t believe how lousy Microsoft and Iomega teams are. Microsoft’s last step took me to Iomega’s web site, which I already did. Iomega even asked me to set up an account for getting the damm 56k file, which did not work on my Win7 computer and wasted a ton of time. No wonder how little market share Iomega is having right now. I will never ever buy an Iomega product.

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

I’m glad we were able to help.

43. CharlesRNo Gravatar says:

Another hit, works great!! Thanks so much!! Windows 7 64 bit. I was searching all over the net and avoided the malware loaded driver installs for this fantastic workaround of missing driver. I had circa 1999 set of floppies I had to sort through and an old USB Candy 3.5″ floppy drive, but no Windows 7 driver. Instructions given worked.

I’m leaving text below to help if any search engines find this helpful tip.

I selected TEAC Corporation / TEAC USB Floppy

Drive: USB Omni Floppy Disk Drive USB F3501 also by name of Candy USB

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

Glad it worked and thank you for the additional information.

44. abmNo Gravatar says:

Your instructions worked great. Thanks so much. I needed to retrieve some old data from floppies. My new computer no longer talked to the floppy plus. The iomega site download didn’t help me at all. I was greatly relieved to find your post. Keep up the good work!

45. CalimagneNo Gravatar says:

I rarely find such a good instruction. Toughest part: I didn’t know I had to wait after clicking on “show all devices”.

iOmega just wanted to sell me their software.
    Vielen Dank
    Merci beaucoup

46. GodfreyNo Gravatar says:

Thank-you so much for this , wonderful instructions

47. Gregorio BinNo Gravatar says:

Thanks a lot Alex !! You are a Genius ! It works in my Windows 7 PC.

48. RNo Gravatar says:

Thank you so much for this.
    The only way I could get exactly the same 2 things (Windows 7 and iOmega USB floppy) to work – no joy from the iOmega site!

49. WolfgangNo Gravatar says:

Great thanks!
    Your instruction was verry helpfull! Now my Floppy device is working again! I would throw this already in the scrapbox – now is it alive!
    Thanks many times again

50. EnzoNo Gravatar says:

Thanks a million – worked perfectly – brilliant!

51. Anwar ChoudhryNo Gravatar says:

I have similar issues to other people above. namely, I have a Samsung SFD-321 U/HP USB floppy disk drive. When I plug it into the USB port it tries to locate DRIVERS and after a while come up with an error message DRIVERS NOT FOUND.

I’ve tried the method you’ve suggested and not had much luck either. It come up with the following message:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your drive.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

I’ve been to Samsung’s website and this has not been any good at all. Accordingly, your assistance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

1. AlexNo Gravatar says:

I dont have the Samsung Model of USB Floppy that you list, so I’m unable to test this for myself. However, I did some research I found the following driver that appears (at least for some) to have worked to get the Samsung floppy working.

http://www.samsungpc.com/accessories/drive_options/wxpinitialsfd-321.zip (http://www NULL.samsungpc NULL.com/accessories/drive_options/wxpinitialsfd-321 NULL.zip)

**AGAIN – I am unable to verify this. If it does work for you please let us know, so that we can confirm for others.

52. PatNo Gravatar says:

Worked great! Thank you!

53. Jose VelezNo Gravatar says:

The workaround for the Iomega Floppy worked great!!!