(Solution) Software: Fix for Microsoft Money “Autorun.inf” error during install
I ran into an interesting error yesterday while trying to reinstall (LINK)Microsoft Money (http://www NULL.microsoft NULL.com/download/en/details NULL.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20738) on my pc. When launching the installer, I would get a message that said “The AUTORUN.INF file is missing or corrupt” when trying to reinstall.
(by the way, YES I know that in this post I’m talking about a product that Microsoft no longer offers or supports)
The AUTORUN.INF file (which is part of the installer) is supposed to tell the pc what to do when a CD is installed. After doing a little research, I found the hang up causing this error. It is actually a simple fix, HOWEVER IT WILL REQUIRE YOU TO GO INTO THE COMPUTER REGISTRY. GOING INTO THE REGISTRY AND CHANGING THINGS WHEN YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WILL BREAK YOUR COMPUTER. FOLLOW THESE STEPS EXACTLY AND DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES TO YOUR REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING. (THAT’S MY WARNING, NOW BACK TO THE POST)
Steps to fix install issue –
– Go to start – click on run in Windows XP or search box in Windows 7 and type REGEDIT (doesn’t have to be in caps) –> Then hit enter or click ok
This will open up your register window. (ONE MORE TIME, FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING)
– In the registry – click on the arrow next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> followed by clicking the arrow next to software
– Now Click on the arrow next to Microsoft
– Now click on the arrow next to WindowsNT –> Followed immediately after by clicking the arrow next to CurrentVersion.
– Lastly, look for InFileMapping and click on the arrow next to it. Under InFileMapping, you will find Autorun.inf. This is the cause of the error.
– You want to right-click directly on Autorun.inf and select Rename.
– Once you rename it you should see the registry look like this
– At this point, reboot your pc. As soon as it restarts (before you start surfing the web or checking email), Install Microsoft Money. You will find that it will install without any issues.
– Lastly after you install Microsoft Money, Reboot 1 more time, so that Windows can recreate the key you renamed.