Another Facebook Post (Scam) That Needs to Stop! iPad Testers Wanted
Facebook is full of scam posts, from the “I can’t believe they did that” post to the “Click here to win a $$$ FREE Gift Card” post. Of the scam posts that I’ve seen making the regular rounds over the past couple of weeks, the “iPad Testers Wanted” scam seems to be the most common. Everyone should remember the golden rule about this and all posts the see online (social media or email), “If it’s to good to be true, it probably is (a scam)”.
If you visit the site listed on the post, you will get to test a “New iPad”. The assumption is that this would be a Free iPad
The Reality of the Post
If you visit the site you will find a page telling you that you have 5 minutes to sign up, hurry before you lose your chance to get that New iPad 3. The countdown clock and the Facebook posts (that you can’t actually click on the users to check out the pages of those who supposedly made comments about the product), are both nice touches to convince you that the offer is legit.
Once you hit continue on the Congratulations page, you will be taken to a “Get the new iPad” just enter your email address.
If you happen to read the fine print at the bottom of the page you will find the following. (The entire fine print was copied from the site, no modifications made)
Branddealonline.com is not affiliated with Apple® and all Apple® trademarks are the property of Apple®. Branddealonline.com does not, in any way, claim to represent or own any of the Apple® trademarks or rights. Apple® does not own, endorse, or promote Branddealonline.com or this promotion.
This Gift Redemption Program is an independent rewards program for consumers and is not affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by any of the listed products or retailers. Trademarks, service marks, logos, and/or domain names (including, without limitation, the individual names of products and retailers) are the property of their respective owners.
Now lets review what the fine print says
- SUMMARY OF PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS = Oh so you mean that I can’t sign up to test an iPad, I have requirements to meet?
- must have a valid email = selling valid email addresses make us money.
- Eligible members can receive the incentive gift package by completing one reward offer from the Silver reward offer page options, two offers from the Gold reward offer page options and nine reward offers from the Platinum reward offer page options and refer 3 friends to do the same = At the point buy 12 items (“offers) from us and get 3 people you know to each buy 12 items (“offers”) from us, we will consider sending you an iPad. I can’t tell you how much these offers are, as I will not be signing up for this program, but I’m willing to bet they probably will be more than if you just paid for a iPad yourself. In addition, you will risk the friendship of 3 of your friends, as they will be upset with you for making then by 12 things (each) or you will be upset with them for not getting 12 things (each), which will mean you will not qualify for the iPad.
- Completion of reward offers most often requires a purchase or filing a credit application and being accepted for a financial product such as a credit card or consumer loan = OK so now not only will you have to buy things, you may have to give an unknown site of questionable reputation, your credit information. REALLY, under the best case scenario, that’s just STUPID!
- Your information will be shared with our marketing partners. = LOTS OF SPAM
It doesn’t look like (based on the pages I did visit), that this is anything more than what I grew up knowing as a “Bait and Switch”. With that being said, I can’t speak of the company behind this promotion, but I would not advise having anything to do with them. If you see the “iPad Testers Wanted” post on your Facebook page, I would ask for you to delete it, and to inform whomever tagged you with the offering that they should look at their page and remove that post as well. Keep in mind you may see links on this page…..Tech Geek and More DOES NOT ENDORSE or RECOMMEND YOU visit the page for “iPad Testers” or have anything to do with the company behind the offer.AD (https://www NULL.idrive NULL.com/p=tgmidrive)